StealthBot.net: Do You Believe In A Deity? - StealthBot.net

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do You Believe In A Deity? The Age-Old Question

Poll: Do You Believe In A Deity?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do You Believe In A Deity?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 User is offline   GurkenKinG Icon

• Emperor of TBR
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted March 16, 2010 - 03:06 PM

I think a general definition of "god" would help here^^
Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 User is offline   joe x86 Icon

• Emergency Programmer Hologram
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted March 16, 2010 - 06:46 PM

A being believed by a person or a group of people to be a "higher being".
Are we still listing our languages and computer specs in our signature in November 2018?

Swift, Ruby on Rails, Objective-C, JavaScript (the good parts)

iPhone Xs Max. Mid 2015 MacBook Pro (16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, work laptop). Mid 2011 Mac mini (16GB RAM, 500GB HDD, home desktop). Lenovo TS140 (Ubuntu on 3TB mirrored ZFS root, 20GB ECC RAM, NAS).

#28 User is offline   --------- Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted March 17, 2010 - 02:36 AM

---

This post has been edited by ---------: January 18, 2015 - 08:29 PM

#29 User is offline   TriGuN Icon

• Bounder
  • PipPip
  • Group: Beta Testers

Posted March 17, 2010 - 02:39 AM

Cthulhu: the best god
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu
Posted ImageNTii
vash is a god
TriGuN --- TrUe BoUnDeRs NeVeR DiE
URL
Posted Image

#30 User is offline   joe x86 Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted March 17, 2010 - 05:06 AM

View Postidiat, on 16 March 2010 - 09:36 PM, said:

Quotations give "higher being" an implied definition which may itself vary from person to person. By my own definition, your schoolmate is not a higher being and therefore does not prove the existence of a god.

Right, but that's from your perspective. Do you consider Jesus to be a higher being, or just another man? Personally, I consider [H/h]im (I have to be politically and grammatically correct) to be a higher being, therefore a god. Even if you don't believe [H/h]e is a higher being doesn't make [H/h]im less of a god.
Are we still listing our languages and computer specs in our signature in November 2018?

iPhone Xs Max. Mid 2015 MacBook Pro (16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, work laptop). Mid 2011 Mac mini (16GB RAM, 500GB HDD, home desktop). Lenovo TS140 (Ubuntu on 3TB mirrored ZFS root, 20GB ECC RAM, NAS).

#31 User is offline   JesusCake Icon

• In raptor jesus we trust
  • PipPipPip

Posted March 17, 2010 - 09:28 AM

View Postjoe x86, on 16 March 2010 - 06:46 PM, said:

A being believed by a person or a group of people to be a "higher being".

By your reference, Hitler was believed in, so that makes him a higher being? I believe that ribose would find this very offensive.
Posted Image
Thanks mega

#32 User is offline   Ben Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted March 17, 2010 - 04:45 PM

People prayed to statues of Stalin. Same with Mao etc..

If you believe Jesus is a god then you are blasphemous in your beliefs, as he preached the belief in only one true god.

#33 User is offline   SamuelDeuter Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Global Moderators

Posted March 17, 2010 - 08:11 PM

View PostBen, on 17 March 2010 - 08:45 AM, said:

People prayed to statues of Stalin. Same with Mao etc..

If you believe Jesus is a god then you are blasphemous in your beliefs, as he preached the belief in only one true god.

Christianity does not recognize Jesus as a god.
Posted Image

#34 User is offline   Ben Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted March 17, 2010 - 09:35 PM

View PostSamuelDeuter, on 17 March 2010 - 12:11 PM, said:

That was my point. Believing Jesus is a god is blasphemous as I said.

#35 User is offline   --------- Icon

• PipPip

Posted March 17, 2010 - 10:57 PM

---

This post has been edited by idiat: January 18, 2015 - 08:08 PM

#36 User is offline   Hellzz Icon

• No One
  • PipPip
  • Group: Banned

Posted March 18, 2010 - 12:45 PM

View PostMega, on 10 October 2009 - 12:55 PM, said:

I believe in the most basic of Christian beliefs, that God is the one and only god and Jesus died for my sins, as well as the ten commandments(no, I can't recite them for you by heart).

I am very skeptical of the Bible itself, that it has probably been translated wrongly and to take its writing literally is probably the unintended way God would want us to worship Him. I would like to see a modern translation of the Codex Sinaiticus, the oldest surviving Bible man possesses.

I believe in God not only because I believe He exists in some form or another, but also because it's good for one's conscience to believe in something higher than themselves. If not for these reasons, I would be an atheist because the logical side of me says that God does not exist. Then again, there are things that are and things that happen that we can't explain with science or logic. Plus, nothing can ever be definitively proven as true by us lowly humans.

This and I believe there is an Anti-Christ who tries to betray, extort, and convert us, aka Satin.
I full Christian though.

View PostSamuelDeuter, on 17 March 2010 - 03:11 PM, said:

The Father, The Son, The Holy Ghost. Try again :mellow:

This post has been edited by Hellzz: March 18, 2010 - 12:43 PM

Posted Image

#37 User is offline   MREvilPB Icon

• Pip

Posted March 20, 2010 - 05:47 PM

Hm, are you a god.
I would imagine as forementioned you could define godhood by the "higher being" status.
It honestly wouldn't take much to be higher than a human bieng on a genetic scale for instance the closest genome resembling the human female is actualy a gorilla, heh, this unfortunate reality doesn't put us much above the homonids that habitate the forests and jungles more remote.
The question I have always debated in self-empowerment is always the simplest; This is my life, my body, and mind, the actions I take dictate the way I wish to shift reality into prespective for myself, if I can change the universe simply by interacting with it, and think myself powerful, I would think to miss the lesson that I have only discovered the truth.
That reality is constant in mass but constituted to be changed at will.
The concept of a higher being perplexes me, as though people expect angels/wizards/psychics to be all powerful before them instead of simply realising they too would be limited in one aspect or another for the fact of the next "bieng" above them.
Perhaps a higher bieng comes to Earth from another dimension, star, or galaxy, what do you imagine they would tell you, do you think they'd address themselves as your gods vs. expectant annihilation under obediance?
Or perhaps they'd be curious of what makes you tick, perplexed by your limitations as much as you would be over thier "godlike" prowess.
I'm afraid that human discovery hasn't reached a point high enough in any thought, way, shape or form, for me to agree with anyone's ideas about god.
I never have understood the concept, and doubtfully ever will understand the importance of a being that neither makes itself known, or is as of yet unknown to us, close minded, heh.
Thanks for reading my bs.

#38 User is offline   GurkenKinG Icon

• Emperor of TBR
  • PipPipPip

Posted March 23, 2010 - 09:05 PM

If you see it in a larger view, humans in general are just dumb... I mean, WHY THE HELL do they spend time with religion? Me included... Humans see the world different then animals, they see it from a larger perspective (sry for my bad english). So they are curious about things and want to know them, which is ok... But they can't accept things that are impossible to know. I mean, we have no proof that there is a god, and we have no proof that there isn't (don't come with mathmatical chances or anything, that's no proof ), but we just CAN'T accept that we have no clue what comes after death, so we need to find an explanation we can believe in!

And what would be easier then just saying "There is a higher being, that's why we can't know it" and pray to this "higher being". The whole IDEA is sooo typical for humans. Because they would NEVER get the idea that all creatures are equal... god > humans > animals

And the more we learn from science, the less from the "holy books" counts... You have to see it relative, fitting to our current knowledge... I mean, how can you fit the Adam & Eve story to the current knowledge. In my oppinion the more knowledge we have about things, the less will religion count in the society.

And for those who say "religion gives us the ethic values, and is good for the society". There are many discussions if religion can really bring peace... In my oppinion, religion just reflects the human behaviour in other things. They try to be good, social and what not, but from time to time, the fight wars etc. I don't say that there won't be wars without religion, but I say that some wars (the crusades for example) were fought in the name of a religion, just to get might and plenty.

So all in all, I can't present you any facts for the one or the other side, but I had to write my position to this large theme (But actually, when I'm thinking about friends who died, I believe that there is a heaven, but not because I really do, but I can't accept that I will never see them again)...
Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 User is offline   Zin Icon

• Boo Boo Titty-Fuck
  • PipPipPip

Posted March 23, 2010 - 09:54 PM

View PostGurkenKinG, on 23 March 2010 - 01:05 PM, said:

If you see it in a larger view, humans in general are just dumb... I mean, WHY THE HELL do they spend time with religion?

It satisfies the ego in knowing we have a purpose or were created, rather than just existing.

#40 User is offline   joe x86 Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted March 30, 2010 - 02:15 AM

Christianity teaches that God the Father, who the Jews believe in, as well as Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one entity in three aspects, and therefore collectively the one true God. The Jews similarly would pray to El Shaddai, God Almighty, for protection, or El Jireh, God who provides, when they needed food, etc. Christianity just has more formal personas of God. It's all the one same entity. Likewise, the god of Isaac (YHWH, Yahweh, Jehovah, however you want to spell it) is also the same god as the god of Ishmael, who we know as Allah.

"I believe in Christianity like I believe in the sun. Not because I see it, but because by it I see."

#41 User is offline   The_Jayroh Icon

• Pip

Posted April 19, 2010 - 06:22 AM

View Postjoe x86, on 29 March 2010 - 08:15 PM, said:

"I believe in Christianity like I believe in the sun. Not because I see it, but because by it I see."

I totally agree with that.

Hit me with the questions, because I know people feel like saying "WHY DO YOU BELIEVE IN SOMETHING YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE, TOUCH, OR FEEL?!? LOLZ" I can't say I blame anyone, but if you want questions I answer them. I'm not saying that because I'm going to tell you why you are wrong and I am right. I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong.

#42 User is offline   Ben Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted April 19, 2010 - 06:51 AM

View PostThe_Jayroh, on 18 April 2010 - 10:22 PM, said:

I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong.

So what happens when you are not right, but as well not wrong? Some kind of wormhole opens up?

#43 User is offline   Eric Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Administrators

Posted April 19, 2010 - 06:29 PM

Buddha isn't a deity; and 'Allah' is just 'God' in Arabic. I hope you don't believe in a deity, because you've failed at life.

#44 User is offline   --------- Icon

• PipPip

Posted April 20, 2010 - 07:09 PM

---

This post has been edited by ---------: January 18, 2015 - 08:28 PM

#45 User is offline   Eric Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Administrators

Posted April 20, 2010 - 09:15 PM

View Postidiat, on 20 April 2010 - 07:09 PM, said:

'ERIC' IS 'GOD' IN PROTO-NORSE.

I approve this message.

#46 User is offline   warrior Icon

• Badass
  • PipPipPip

Posted May 02, 2010 - 03:19 PM

God is something people who are too scared to accept death make up. It's like a children's bed time story.

#47 User is offline   Kakushin Icon

• Scholar
  • PipPip
  • Group: Beta Testers

Posted June 27, 2010 - 01:54 AM

been there done that. i think my signature says it all
"God... a being whose only definition is that he is beyond man's power to conceive. " -Ayn Rand

#48 User is offline   Fallen-God Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted June 30, 2010 - 07:35 PM

View Postjoe x86, on 16 March 2010 - 09:01 AM, said:

If you want to calculate the odds of a god existing, I'll do it for you.

A schoolmate of mine was a Satanist. By their religion, you are your own god. Since my schoolmate existed, their god existed. This is a proven fact. There are medical records of this god.

That's why it's stupid to say that no god exists.

That's only assuming you believe in their religion.
I do not, so I believe that his belief that he is his own god is false.
Therefore, as far as I believe, he is not nor is anyone else their own god.
Therefore there are no medical records, as far as I believe, of these gods.
Therefore your argument is only correct if one believes that your friend's belief that he is his own god to be correct

I admit that the chances of life being spontaneously created are unimaginably slim.
However the universe is unimaginably big.
To anyone who doesn't know how big the universe is, I suggest you YouTube the Millennium Simulation.
Based on current scientific understanding, there are around 10^22 stars in each galaxy and around 500 billion galaxies.
Sure evolution requires extraordinary events. But it is scientifically explainable.
I would much rather belief in something which is unlikely but possible, than in a God which defies every single thing we can observe?
How can he exist as nothing? If he knows everything, how can he ever be angry, surprised, anything when he he knows all that is and will be.
And for that matter, how can free-will exist he is the one who controlled our genetic make-up and the environment we were born into.
How can one argue that God gave us free will? Every day hundreds of children who were born with HIV/AIDS are orphaned and are starving? Did they choose that?

Besides, it is unlikely that the events needed for life would occur.
But on the scale of the universe the ludicrously unlikely becomes very likely (I believe in countless alien races - but doubt we will ever see any evidence of them < not a UFO nut >)
And we wouldn't be here to realise the improbability if we weren't one of chance's cock-ups.
Choose Functional.

#49 User is offline   CCC Icon

• Hey
  • PipPipPip

Posted July 01, 2010 - 03:21 PM

No, I am an Atheis, Why? i don't believe in such things, I'd say it's a virus - I mean god.. no thanks

#50 User is offline   kwikster Icon

• PipPip

Posted July 06, 2010 - 07:46 PM

Personally I do believe in God and Jesus. This being said ponder this for a moment, the Kuran and Bible share many similar stories, yet have differing names for God. It is my considered opinion, that many religions simply call one god by many names. Whether it be God, Allah, Buddah and so on. I know, I'll likely see a bit of flamage on this but I digress.

As for the Bible, yes it has been translated many times and thus much of the contents are likely skewed a bit. The language it was written in died centuries ago. The problems with tranlating anything is it usually is subject to interpretations of a select few. These "experts" have a general idea of what was written. All a translator is is an interpretor. If you go to Mexico for example and don't speak spanish, can you know if the interpretation is correct? Same goes with any work translated from another language. I remember a simplistic experiment from when I was young. Gather 10 or so people. Have them stand a bit apart. Write down a short sentence, so you know the original phrase. Whisper it to the next person with the instrutcion the do the same. Continue on around the room. Have the last person say it out loud for all present to hear. Then read the original statement out loud and see how much it changed. You'll be surpised. This is what happens during translation more often than not.

This post has been edited by kwikster: July 06, 2010 - 07:50 PM

Real Stupidity Beats Artificial Intelligence Every Time!

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users