• You cannot reply to this topic

My Unnofficial Retirement

#1 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon
  • Group: Scripting Moderators

Posted October 02, 2011 - 08:49 PM

Okay, so this is long LONG overdue.

As most, or all of you, probably know, I'm no long active in this community as far as scripting goes. The reason for this is because, try as I might, I just could not find the time needed to help the community and balance my life at the same time. When I script, I spend a huge amout of time making sure everything runs smoothly (though there is almost always bugs as soon as I post it) and this requires alot of dedicated time infront of a computer and usually a few hours or a few days, depending on the script. As life went on, the amount of time I had to spare to help everyone out kept getting shorter and shorter until finally, I wasn't able to fulfill the large requests users were asking, so I was forced to stop.

This isn't an easy thing for me to say...probably an indication of why it took me so long to write this...but anyways, I wanted to say thank you to everyone and for everything you guys have done for me. From 2006, I remember when I was first starting out and I didn't know the most basic of things. I remember asking questions about what AddQ was and what variables were. I knew NOTHING about scripting. The more I made stupid little stuff for my clans, took stuff other people did, changed a few things around to customize it, etc., the more I learned and the more I figured out why things were done and how they were done. Eventually I was able to get good enough for this community to make me a mod of the scripting forum, but that wasn't without a long road of trial and error...many many errors lol

Everyone here was so patient and so helpful and I was able to get good enough to start helping others and making their lives easier and you guys have no idea how awesome my time here was. I was able to take almost everything I've learned here to my work and made a macro in Excel to make a process that used to take 2 hours down to a few seconds. They loved it, they went ape over how well and efficient it worked. They all asked how I knew how to do this stuff and I simple said, "I used to program for a warcraft bot called Stealthbot" I've got no shame in telling people where I learned how to do this stuff, I want people to know where I learned these things. Maybe it can encourage others to do the same or try new things. You never know the skills you gain might be useful later in life.

Without the knowledge about scripting everyone here has given me, I would've never been able to create that macro and I would've never been able to be that much more valuable to my company. Believe me when I say that I'm so thankful for what everyone has taught me. I so wish I could be able to be a bigger part in this community as I once was, but I simply can't, so again, thank you so much for putting up with my shit and allowing the once noobest programmer to become an actual mod for the scripting forum. I still can't believe I was able to grab that, but I never once took that for granted. I always tried to be fair and give everyone the respect they deserve, as well as keeping a strict air of maturity in my boards. I hope everyone can see why I modded the way I did and hope I left some sort of impression on you all. Good or bad lol

For those of you who actually read all this, you're awesome and I'm definitely going to be stopping by every so often, just to see what's up. This isn't me saying I'm stopping programming all together, it just won't be on this site anymore :( For what it's worth, everything I've learned here, I've been applying it to my work when I have the chance and it's such a great feeling knowing I'm actually furthering my career when all this started out as a simple pasttime :)

Now for the thanks.

HDX, you're amazing dude, for all the smarts you have and the ambition you have, it's going to be the fuel to take you to the places you need to go. Never stop. You're going to get your break and when you do, you're going to seize that shit by the throat. Suffer the pain of discipline now and enjoy the rewards later!

PhiX, I can now say that I always tried to mod the way you did and come off as being very professional.

Pyro, you're just...awesome lol

SamuelDeuter, Slambliss, JesusCake, ..you're all hilarious. I hope you never lose your humour and outlook on life.

Jack, as being one of the first people to help me out here, I wanna say that you were a tough teacher, but I learned alot from your examples.

Awakening, we had our spats, but I fucking respect you for being the coder you are. I really did learn alot from you. I hope you and your family stays healthy and your daughters grow up to be the girls you want them to be.

FiftyToo, I don't know if you're still around, but, you helped me so much you don't even know. You gave me so many resources and I know there is no way in hell I can ever get to your level, you had so much patience with me and I'm so thankful for that.

There's other people on here that I know I missed...please don't take that as an insult or that you didn't mean as much to me as these guys did, these were...the ones I could remember lol

That's all for now, I'll talk to you all later!

#2 User is offline   slypt Icon

• dis bitch
  • PipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted October 03, 2011 - 04:29 AM

I haven't posted here in like 8 months, but this was a sad read.

#3 User is online   Pyro Icon

• Militant Asshole
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators

Posted October 03, 2011 - 06:34 AM

Thanks Ninja for all the hard work you've done!
Pyro, AKA Davnit
  • StealthBot Developer
  • Chieftain of Clan BoT
  • Host of pyro.no-ip.biz

https://davnit.net/

#4 User is offline   AwaKening Icon

• how do ya like me now
  • Icon

Posted October 03, 2011 - 07:51 PM

I can certainly appreciate what you've said and wish you good luck. I still hope to see you around when you do have the time.

#5 User is offline   Alendar Icon

• StealthBot Moderator
  • Icon
  • Group: Global Moderators

Posted October 03, 2011 - 08:03 PM

Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication to the community. This reminded me of my "retirement" two years ago. =P

Anyway, good luck! Hope to hear from you again soon!
- Alendar (Joseph W)
http://josephw.net

-----------------------------
<3 ~Pyro <3 -PhiX <3

#6 User is offline   PhiX Icon

• Notice the ownage.
  • Icon

Posted October 03, 2011 - 08:37 PM

When I first read the topic title, I thought Battle.net itself posted ...

It's no shame to retire, not at all. So you don't have to feel bad about anything, especially considering what you have done for this community. I guess everyone became rather inactive due to the fact that the platform this product is based on is dying. People move on (except for SugarD-X maybe), that's just the way it goes. It was great for the time it lasted, let's keep it in mind like that.

I for my part can only thank you for the incredible devotion and vast amount time you spent on this forum. You reminded me a lot of myself when I started posting on this site. I have seen you "prospering" in this community and know exactly what you're talking about.

View PostThe-Black-Ninja, on October 02, 2011 - 09:49 PM, said:

PhiX, I can now say that I always tried to mod the way you did and come off as being very professional.
Thank you. I can now say that I wasn't really satisfied with the way you modded the boards. ;) But that doesn't mean anything. What you did was great and it worked.

I'm glad to hear that the knowledge and experiences you gained on this site even helped you in your job. I hope that everything goes well in your life and that you stay the way you are. Farewell. :)
PhiX

BNLS: phix.no-ip.org

Please refrain from sending me personal messages regarding technical support issues. Use the forums, that is what they are there for.

#7 User is offline   Novynn Icon

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted October 03, 2011 - 10:07 PM

Sad to see you going, but there isn't really any reason to stay anymore.

Thanks for all the things you taught me and for being patient when I was learning. You certainly relate to people new to scripting very well and have a calm manner in approach to stupid mistakes.

This post has been edited by Novynn: October 03, 2011 - 10:07 PM

#8 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon

Posted October 03, 2011 - 10:22 PM

:) You guys are awesome. I didn't want to just fade away, I felt I needed to say what was happening and why! Everyone deserved it ;) lol

#9 User is offline   Neon Icon

• I <3 Sam
  • PipPip

Posted October 05, 2011 - 06:17 AM

Mmmm, these forums have good memories for me, and you were definitely a part of those memories. Will miss you, and good luck with the rest of your life.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon

Posted October 08, 2011 - 09:30 PM

:o Neon!!! Omg I thought you fell into the ocean!! I haven't talked to you in so long! :)

#11 User is offline   Neon Icon

• I <3 Sam
  • PipPip

Posted October 09, 2011 - 10:24 PM

Hahahah. Kinda hard to fall into an ocean when you live in the middle of the prairies, but yeah it's been awhile. :P The last couple years of school got kinda insane so I disappeared into the abyss of homework for quite some time. I try and stop by every once in awhile, but there's not usually much to say, so yeah.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   JesusCake Icon

• In raptor jesus we trust
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted October 12, 2011 - 09:33 AM

Heather baby, I has a sad
Posted Image
Thanks mega

#13 User is offline   MusicDemon Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted October 19, 2011 - 11:54 AM

Farewell TBN! I must thank you for a great deal if it comes about you. You scripts teached me A LOT of the basics. Currently I'm writing the final documentation for the plug-in framework I wrote in C#.Net... Life goes, where want to life go!
Geh geh, I wish you the best!
With kind regards,
MusicDemon

#14 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon

Posted October 25, 2011 - 02:39 AM

View PostJesusCake, on October 12, 2011 - 05:33 AM, said:

Heather baby, I has a sad
Posted Image

View PostMusicDemon, on October 19, 2011 - 07:54 AM, said:

Farewell TBN! I must thank you for a great deal if it comes about you. You scripts teached me A LOT of the basics. Currently I'm writing the final documentation for the plug-in framework I wrote in C#.Net... Life goes, where want to life go!
Geh geh, I wish you the best!
Thank you :) That's crazy that you're killing it with the coding!

#15 User is offline   Ribose Icon

• Fire wants to be free.
  • Icon
  • Group: Global Moderators

Posted October 27, 2011 - 01:57 AM

/feels insulted...

jk

I guess I should have written one of these. But no one would read it anyway. I haven't really left anyway- I do read the forums as often as other people do proportionally. By that I mean if it was as active as it used to be (when Battle.net v1 was popular) I would visit like I used to. But hey, the platform is dying, and so shall be the fate of this bot.

I personally would love it if the community members themselves didn't go separate ways though. If we made an IRC channel for the oldies to talk, ...

TBN: Have fun. Programming is the safest and most wonderful way to be able to improve people's lives. You also gotta love the feeling you get when code runs and works.
~Ribose
[ Download ] [ Wiki ] [ Support ] [ Scripting ]
[ Chrome ] [ Notepad++ ] [ fedora ]
[ Homepage ] [ BNLS ♯ ]

#16 User is offline   Hdx Icon

• Hdx
  • Icon

Posted October 31, 2011 - 09:40 AM

Just had to say, thanks for all work you've done here. And for putting up with me, I know it couldn't of been easy.
I am glad that something here has helped you in the real world.
Know that i'm proud of you for how well you've done both here, and in the real world.

Remember that if you ever need anything just drop me a e-mail. I'll call you a noob and help you out <3
Erin Go Bragh!
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   MusicDemon Icon

• PipPip

Posted October 31, 2011 - 03:09 PM

View PostHdx, on October 31, 2011 - 09:40 AM, said:

Remember that if you ever need anything just drop me a e-mail. I'll call you a noob and help you out <3

That's what I call friendship!
With kind regards,
MusicDemon

#18 User is online   Pyro Icon

• Militant Asshole
  • Icon

Posted October 31, 2011 - 03:45 PM

View PostRibose, on October 26, 2011 - 09:57 PM, said:

I personally would love it if the community members themselves didn't go separate ways though. If we made an IRC channel for the oldies to talk, ...

we could always use #stealthbot @ freenode.
Pyro, AKA Davnit
  • StealthBot Developer
  • Chieftain of Clan BoT
  • Host of pyro.no-ip.biz

https://davnit.net/

#19 User is offline   PhiX Icon

• Notice the ownage.
  • Icon

Posted October 31, 2011 - 06:19 PM

View PostHdx, on October 31, 2011 - 10:40 AM, said:

Just had to say, thanks for all work you've done here. And for putting up with me, I know it couldn't of been easy.
I am glad that something here has helped you in the real world.
Know that i'm proud of you for how well you've done both here, and in the real world.

How's the SC2 bot going?
PhiX

Please refrain from sending me personal messages regarding technical support issues. Use the forums, that is what they are there for.

#20 User is offline   SugarD-x Icon

• Around Since 2.4...
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Beta Testers

Posted April 10, 2012 - 03:29 AM

View PostPhiX, on October 03, 2011 - 01:37 PM, said:

People move on (except for SugarD-X maybe), that's just the way it goes.

Ohai der! ;)

See you Ninja! You will be missed man. I'm sorry for bumping this, but I didn't notice it before. It will be very different around here without you. Please keep your promise to stop by and say hi to us from time to time! :)

#21 User is offline   Plutonium239 Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted July 26, 2012 - 12:17 AM

He isnt exactly gone, helped me out with a script for my clan. :D
Posted Image
http://images.cheezb...0f14e916b04.jpg Picture is way too big for a signature! -PhiX

#22 User is offline   SugarD-x Icon

• Around Since 2.4...
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Beta Testers

Posted July 26, 2012 - 06:12 PM

Yay!

#23 User is offline   PhiX Icon

• Notice the ownage.
  • Icon

Posted July 26, 2012 - 11:03 PM

She.*
PhiX

#24 User is offline   Plutonium239 Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted July 27, 2012 - 01:33 AM

my bad
Posted Image
http://images.cheezb...0f14e916b04.jpg Picture is way too big for a signature! -PhiX

#25 User is offline   God-Follower Icon

• God-Follower
  • PipPipPip

Posted August 12, 2012 - 08:12 PM

Sorry I missed this as well, going to poke in my thanks for all the work you put in helping me tweak scripts I had found from you and others, as well as helping me out with the very few I made. You were always a great help and very patient, and I learned a lot from what you showed me.

Goodluck to you madame, wherever you go and whatever you do!

P.S. Hopefully your truck is still running great, I know how you excited you were when you got it.
Posted Image

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users