Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anyone in or have been in engineering?

#1 User is offline   Ben Icon

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted April 14, 2011 - 03:07 AM

3rd year now in Mechatronics Systems Engineering.. and I'm regretting it. If anyone has been in engineering I'm curious what the average grades were in your classes, and how difficult must people found it?

Maybe I'm just complaining, but my last two exams had several people break down crying, and our averages are around 40% on a good final, 10-20% on a bad one. Teachers seem to find this acceptable too. Is this common? It seems like a very poor teaching method, slowly breaking down people over a 5 year period.

#2 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon
  • Group: Scripting Moderators

Posted April 14, 2011 - 04:46 AM

3 years of Civil Engineering @ college level, 1 year at University level. During our 2nd year, the class average for our Materials class was 47% walking into the final exam. A pass was 60%. During the 2nd year is when all the "cuts" were made; a good 3/4 of my class dropped down into Technician instead of Technology and by the 3rd year, there was only about 12 of us left from the original 30 students.

Our teachers were just looking for if you can pull it off and how badly you wanted it. I mean, it sucks, but you either tough it out or don't :( In our 3rd year Structures class, the assignment break down was 2 tests worth 40%, 2 assignments worth 15%, 5% from something else. I failed the first test with a 49% and again, the pass was 60%, so I was freaking out cause like, I HAD to pass that other exam or I just spent 3 years for nothing. Obviously I did, but there was lots of doubt in the 2nd year and beginning of 3rd as to whether or not I could handle everything.

#3 User is offline   Ben Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted April 15, 2011 - 05:49 AM

Hm, well knowing all engineers suffer equally makes me feel mildly better. We'll see if I last another 2 years. So far around 30 of the 80 people I started with have dropped out.

On a related note: http://www.geekosyst...ofessor-meme/2/

#4 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon
  • Group: Scripting Moderators

Posted April 15, 2011 - 05:41 PM

That link is all fucking true lol

You'll do it :) It's going to feel like hell, but greatness never came without sacrifice. Sacrifice now, reap rewards later!!!!

Pic very related.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   SamuelDeuter Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Global Moderators

Posted April 20, 2011 - 06:41 AM

Its a reassuring feeling that I'll be a thousand miles away from anything either of you would engineer.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Ben Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted April 20, 2011 - 03:48 PM

View PostSamuelDeuter, on April 19, 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

Its a reassuring feeling that I'll be a thousand miles away from anything either of you would engineer.

Engineers don't really build things just in their immediate vicinity. My goal is the automotive industry, so unless you stay away from all cars, you're screwed. Thanks for the support though ^^

#7 User is offline   SamuelDeuter Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Global Moderators

Posted April 23, 2011 - 02:11 PM

View PostBen, on April 20, 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

Engineers don't really build things just in their immediate vicinity. My goal is the automotive industry, so unless you stay away from all cars, you're screwed. Thanks for the support though ^^

Well I guess that is somewhat true. Also its harder to have failure on a catastrophic level of a bridge or building falling over in automotives. Although look who I'm talking to. Just make sure you give everyone a heads up.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Ben Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted April 27, 2011 - 06:14 AM

I make the cars go boom.

#9 User is offline   God-Follower Icon

• God-Follower
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted August 27, 2011 - 07:41 PM

View PostBen, on April 27, 2011 - 01:14 AM, said:

I make the cars go boom.

Let me know which ones, and I will make sure to train in that manufacturer's schools. Then I can fix all the cars that went boom, since I am in auto technician school.
Posted Image

#10 User is online   Pyro Icon

• Militant Asshole
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators

Posted August 27, 2011 - 08:21 PM

Car bombs are illegal last time I checked.
Pyro, AKA Davnit
  • StealthBot Developer
  • Host of pyro.no-ip.biz

BNETDocs Discord: https://discord.gg/u87WVeu

#11 User is offline   God-Follower Icon

• God-Follower
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted August 28, 2011 - 03:33 AM

View PostPyro, on August 27, 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

Car bombs are illegal last time I checked.

Excellent observation good sir! However, the average 6 cylinder vehicle going down the highway goes boom 6600 times per minute, but it does not make it a car bomb...

So I am not sure if that was just a bit of enlightenment offered, or an insinuation of something more.

Horseshoes and Handgrenades.
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users