• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What I've been up to

#1 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon
  • Group: Scripting Moderators

Posted April 06, 2010 - 11:29 PM

I'm positive you all have noticed my absence in the forums. I also know that I said I would try to keep up my coding while doing everything else. Well, it was easier said than done this time lol My job has noticed that I've gotten faster at completing AutoCAD tasks and general computer stuff like the basic upkeep of email signatures, etc. and they found it fitting to help me "fill out my day" with a higher work load, which means my hopes of doing Stealthbot stuff while at work kinda went for a crap lol When I get home though, personal life gets in the way as well; I'm spending more time with family because they aren't seeing me during the day anymore, I'm going straight from work to my bf's house because we aren't seeing each other in school anymore, and weekends is catching up with my friends who want to unwind after their work week. I've also made a change to myself, I'm becoming far more active now because I'm basically sitting at a computer now for 8 hours a day and there's no way in hell I'm being one of those people who go to work, go home, and veg out because "it was a tough day". I'm working out every other day and when I'm not working out, I'm out for a walk or a bike ride if weather permits. I've also made changes to my diet and eating right...but I'm still eating chocolate cause, fuck man, it's chocolate.

It's been tough trying to keep up coding when I only have maybe...an hour or two to divulge to it now, not nearly enough time as I would like, so...I don't want to call it quits because there might come a day where I suddenly do have time again and I'm able to do some requests and such, but for now, I just need to focus on things in my life that require the time more. This doesn't mean I'm leaving though :) I'm still browsing posts and stuff.

I know I've told you guys that I'm not going to be learning another programing language but I'm afraid I'm going to have to go back on that now. My company thinks I'm this super good programmer because I was able to fix their HTML signatures in our Outlook accounts, so they've asked me to help upgrade their website. I told them that I have nowhere near enough knowledge about HTML or java to create the website they're wanting, but their response was simply for me to do it anyway, download a program or two, and just go with it. SO! I am now trying to teach myself HTML and some basic java for some of those scripted effects, which is going to take time, but if they want me to do it and they're paying me to try to do it, I might as well give it a shot. Who knows, maybe this will make itself into my performance review and turn into my favour :)

Anyway, that, in a nutshell, is what's going on with me. You might see a few posts of mine in the computer area for some basic questions and such if I get stuck, and I'll keep an eye on this post to reply if you guys have anything to say or whatever.

#2 User is offline   KyleIs1337 Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted April 07, 2010 - 12:33 AM

You mean JavaScript?

#3 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon

Posted April 07, 2010 - 12:55 AM

If that's what it is, yes.

#4 User is offline   JesusCake Icon

• In raptor jesus we trust
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted April 07, 2010 - 01:15 AM

tl;dr

I can help with html :D
Posted Image
Thanks mega

#5 User is offline   AwaKening Icon

• how do ya like me now
  • Icon

Posted April 07, 2010 - 01:17 AM

<script FOR="Button1" EVENT="onclick" LANGUAGE="VBScript"> MsgBox "Good Luck!"

#6 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon

Posted April 07, 2010 - 01:20 AM

Thanks Cake!!

@Awakening: I'm gonna need it lol They want to incorporate some java style multi-level drop down menus, so I found a good one on the net and I'm going to learn from that function.

#7 User is offline   KyleIs1337 Icon

• PipPip

Posted April 07, 2010 - 01:23 AM

DHTML :D.

#8 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon

Posted April 07, 2010 - 01:29 AM

What's that? And is it easy to understand so I can put something together in under a month? I'm already kind of incorporating java scripts and stuff inside the HTML so...I don't know if that's what you mean lol

OHH!!! I see what it can do now! That's cool, I like the mouse click events!

#9 User is offline   JesusCake Icon

• In raptor jesus we trust
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted April 07, 2010 - 01:55 AM

Heather get on msn, and ill give you everything you need to learn html
Posted Image
Thanks mega

#10 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon

Posted April 07, 2010 - 02:16 AM

Okay, possibly tomorrow or in the coming days. There's going to be another meeting with myself, my supervisor, and the company owners as to what exactly they're looking for as far as graphics go. Then I can come to you for better help and stuff because I'll know exactly what I'm needing to do. I know for sure they want a menu style and that's what I'm kinda playing around with as we speak, but that's about it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, they want a graphic that cyles between some pictures that like fades between the pictures. Is that java too?

#11 User is offline   KyleIs1337 Icon

• PipPip

Posted April 07, 2010 - 03:15 AM

It could JS as well as ASP.

#12 User is offline   SamuelDeuter Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Global Moderators

Posted April 07, 2010 - 03:53 PM

http://www.w3schools.com/

Pretty much the best resource on the web.

Are they asking for a completely static site? Because if the pages are going to be dynamic then you're probably going to need to learn a server side language.

So you'll probably want to know these languages:

HTML
JavaScript
CSS

(These 3 used together is what KyleIs1337 was referring to when he said DHTML)

Then most likely also Java, PHP, or ASP. Also SQL.

Also you should look into learning about some JavaScript frameworks, there is a ton of stuff out there than can make your life a million times easier.

Here is an example: http://demos.mootools.net/Effects#
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon

Posted April 07, 2010 - 05:12 PM

Yeah man, for sure. I'm learning HTML and javascript slowly...HTML is coming faster to me though, javascript isn't THAT different than what I've been doing, but it's the little things now like those bracket things:
if (emailName == ""){
   emailName = "ERROR";
   emailLink = "ERROR";
   myEmail = emailName;
   myLink = emailLink;
}else{

That's a really cool feature, that MooTools. They're not wanting a site that is all about effects, they're wanting just like...subtle effects to let people know we're professional, but not overwhelm them, so something like drop down menus and a slow flash object that fades between pictures as the header, then the rest is just static text and stuff. However, if I see a really cool effect, I'll try to add it in :) I know I want to try to like...animate some text and stuff, do some mouseover events to slowly enlarge the text a little bit when hovered over or something.

Right now, I'm just looking on the web for javascripts that do what I'm wanting, then importing them to the HTML and if it doesn't look right, I'll edit the script, so...kinda like how I started learning SB lol Right now I'm setting up a little google map thing for our Contact Us page and they're wanting users to be able to submit resumes on the site itself, so I'm debating whether or not to use forms or just open up Outlook...cause outlook can do more stuff and people can make a nice email and attach stuff...plus I can make it through javascript so that there are no actual [email protected] in the HTML so bots can't get a hold of the addresses.

#14 User is offline   SamuelDeuter Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Global Moderators

Posted April 08, 2010 - 03:59 PM

To be honest from what I've seen you post you're probably going to want to learn a Server Side Language. Also all of the JavaScript you use in your site can be viewed too just like the HTML.

Also MooTools was just an example. There are other JavaScript frameworks that can pretty much make clean simple drop down menus for you.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure but I think MooTools also can do that...

This post has been edited by SamuelDeuter: April 08, 2010 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   RichardSmins Icon

• Pip

Posted July 14, 2017 - 07:08 AM

thats where I live
Austria, I have 2 minutes to go there
Italy
Germany
France
Furstentum Liechtenstein