StealthBot.net: Thy Future - StealthBot.net

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thy Future

#1 User is offline   Xeda Icon

  • Oh yeah.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 49
  • Joined: October-06 09

Posted November 29, 2009 - 09:25 PM

Well, you play those games (Mass Effect, Dead Space, Halo 3,), You watch those movies (Star Trek, Star Wars, etc), and you find yourself wondering, man will life ever be like that? Well, obviously not because they are just stories because thought of while tripping on acid, but with growing technology today, do you think we will ever get to the point of "futuristic"? Yes, I have considered 2012, and the religious dates (Armageddon), but if they come out to be nothing but hoax, where do you think our civilization will go?

Just a thought that went across my head and wanted to hear some opinions.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   JohnToM Icon

  • Notice No Ownage
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: November-24 09

Posted November 29, 2009 - 09:43 PM

I honestly don't think governments, economies, and mass populations are seriously dreading the days of 2012. I mean, you have to ask yourself is the world just all the sudden gonna crumble, ground breaking open, freeways falling apart, fireballs from the sky; do people honestly believe that?? thats ridiculous. And to the futuristic topic, we never know what's going to happen. So far, we have been delayed to getting there because there has been no dramatic advances in the science field concerning space travel. We still have the same space technology as we've had it for the past 30 years. So maybe we will get there eventually if we don't kill ourselves out due to global warming or nuclear holocaust. But it won't happen anytime in our lifetime.
Clan Rebel Xtremests @ Op Rx) @USWEST. Rx-BlackStar PM me if you need help hosting in Battle.net

#3 User is offline   Zin Icon

  • Boo Boo Titty-Fuck
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 112
  • Joined: September-17 09

Posted November 29, 2009 - 10:38 PM

View PostJohnToM, on 29 November 2009 - 01:43 PM, said:

I honestly don't think governments, economies, and mass populations are seriously dreading the days of 2012. I mean, you have to ask yourself is the world just all the sudden gonna crumble, ground breaking open, freeways falling apart, fireballs from the sky; do people honestly believe that?? thats ridiculous. And to the futuristic topic, we never know what's going to happen. So far, we have been delayed to getting there because there has been no dramatic advances in the science field concerning space travel. We still have the same space technology as we've had it for the past 30 years. So maybe we will get there eventually if we don't kill ourselves out due to global warming or nuclear holocaust. But it won't happen anytime in our lifetime.

It probably would help if you knew what you were talking about in regard to space travel technology.
New "pseudo-gravity" on the mars mission coming up. Space station. Moon station in planning. They just retired the space shuttle model too; going for a new design.

I've heard theories about 2012 and how aliens are supposed to come down. I know, crazy right. But when you look at the pyramids and the mayan calendar and all the other nearly-impossible achievements in the human story... In most of the world ancients civilizations, records have been found of a type of "lizard man" with an elongated skull. People used to shape their child's skull in that way because it was apparently some type of nobility.
Who knows, maybe those aliens will enlighten us and get us ready for space.

Of course, thats just a crazy theory.

#4 User is offline   JohnToM Icon

  • Notice No Ownage
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 63
  • Joined: November-24 09

Posted November 29, 2009 - 10:42 PM

View PostJaesin, on 29 November 2009 - 02:38 PM, said:

New "pseudo-gravity" on the mars mission coming up. Space station. Moon station in planning. They just retired the space shuttle model too; going for a new design.


Yes but that stuff is going to happen over YEARS. Its not like in the next 5 years we are going to be landing on mars. It might take 20 to 30 years to when we will actually land on it.
Clan Rebel Xtremests @ Op Rx) @USWEST. Rx-BlackStar PM me if you need help hosting in Battle.net

#5 User is offline   Zin Icon

  • Boo Boo Titty-Fuck
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 112
  • Joined: September-17 09

Posted November 29, 2009 - 10:46 PM

View PostJohnToM, on 29 November 2009 - 02:42 PM, said:

Yes but that stuff is going to happen over YEARS. Its not like in the next 5 years we are going to be landing on mars. It might take 20 to 30 years to when we will actually land on it.

The mission is planned for 2019 ish I believe. It's been public for a few years now.
They HAVE most of the technology, its just a matter of building it and shooting people into space, which takes time.

#6 User is offline   Xeda Icon

  • Oh yeah.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 49
  • Joined: October-06 09

Posted November 29, 2009 - 11:07 PM

I was talking with my friend, and we came to the conclusion that if we are to do space things, colonies, different planets, etc, we would have to solve our own problems on Earth before we did anything like that. And that is going to take a LONG time.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   FiftyToo Icon

  • StealthBot Developer
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 276
  • Joined: July-31 09

Posted December 08, 2009 - 06:22 AM

View PostXeda, on 29 November 2009 - 06:07 PM, said:

I was talking with my friend, and we came to the conclusion that if we are to do space things, colonies, different planets, etc, we would have to solve our own problems on Earth before we did anything like that. And that is going to take a LONG time.


That IS the solution to our problems with earth... GTFO before it is too late. It's statistically inevitable that we are going to get pounded by another massive meteor. It might take thousands of years, but it is very VERY likely to happen. Even if we have the technology to prevent a meteor, the sun will not last forever. I realize this is millions of years away and we have been around just a speck compared to that much time, but I honestly believe the human race will be around for ever. Global warming is not going to end this planet before we have the technology to colonize another. There are just too many ambitious people in this world to let it come to an end.

52

#8 User is offline   joe x86 Icon

  • Emergency Programmer Hologram
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: September-06 09

Posted December 08, 2009 - 06:47 AM

Star Trek has a rich background of non-canon material, much of which is scientifically possible, and I see happening in the future.

2020's: First manned mission to saturn.
2053: World War III ends in nuclear holocaust.
2063: First faster than light space travel. Vulcans discover Earth. First alien contact.
2060's: Terra 10 colonized by Earth.
2110's: United Earth government formed.
2119: Warp Five Complex dedicated.
2151: USS Enterprise (NX-01) launched, capable of Warp 5.
2170's: Money becomes obsolete.

Of course, that's assuming faster than light travel is possible, which I do. The science behind warp drive is that they create a bubble which moves through space, while the ship never actually exceeds the speed of light. So far, we haven't been able to create a warp bubble, although they are known to exist. Once we figure out how to create one, in the words of Zefram Cochrane:

"On this site, a powerful engine will be built... an engine that will someday help us to travel a hundred times faster than we can today. Imagine it: thousands of inhabited planets at our fingertips. And we'll be able to explore those strange new worlds... and seek out new life and new civilizations. This engine will let us go boldly... where no man has gone before."

Yes, I watch too much Star Trek.
Swift, Ruby, Objective-C, JavaScript (the good parts)

iPhone Xs Max
MacBook Pro (2019, 15", 6-core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
Unix Workstation (Arch linux, 6TB mirrored ZFS, Ryzen 3900X, 32GB ECC RAM, RTX 2070)

#9 User is offline   Mega Icon

  • I have open-source underwear.
  • Icon
  • Group: Off-Topic Moderators
  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: July-31 09

Posted December 17, 2009 - 10:20 AM

Either we will develop FOL travel, or a hostile alien species will attempt to conquer us. In that attempt, if we were victorious, we would be made available to their entire wealth of technology which would transform our way of life instantly.

One thing I hope for is that if we are invaded by aliens at some point, I hope they don't fly in fucking saucer shaped ships and have huge heads and little bodies. Something like the Xenomorphs or Predator, or even the Kzin from the Known Space series(which were going to be in Enterprise at some point).

I just want to be able to purchase a FOL ship as I would a car. It doesn't even have to be bigger than a shuttle craft from Star Trek, though something like the Serenity from Firefly would be a nice size.

#10 User is offline   SamuelDeuter Icon

  • Full Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Posts: 473
  • Joined: August-02 09

Posted December 18, 2009 - 09:05 PM

View Postjoe x86, on 07 December 2009 - 10:47 PM, said:

Star Trek has a rich background of non-canon material, much of which is scientifically possible, and I see happening in the future.

2020's: First manned mission to saturn.
2053: World War III ends in nuclear holocaust.
2063: First faster than light space travel. Vulcans discover Earth. First alien contact.
2060's: Terra 10 colonized by Earth.
2110's: United Earth government formed.
2119: Warp Five Complex dedicated.
2151: USS Enterprise (NX-01) launched, capable of Warp 5.
2170's: Money becomes obsolete.

Of course, that's assuming faster than light travel is possible, which I do. The science behind warp drive is that they create a bubble which moves through space, while the ship never actually exceeds the speed of light. So far, we haven't been able to create a warp bubble, although they are known to exist. Once we figure out how to create one, in the words of Zefram Cochrane:

"On this site, a powerful engine will be built... an engine that will someday help us to travel a hundred times faster than we can today. Imagine it: thousands of inhabited planets at our fingertips. And we'll be able to explore those strange new worlds... and seek out new life and new civilizations. This engine will let us go boldly... where no man has gone before."

Yes, I watch too much Star Trek.
Warp speed still doesn't mean that space is suddenly going to be a small little neighborhood, even at 5 times the speed of light it would take you almost a year to get to the closest star.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   joe x86 Icon

  • Emergency Programmer Hologram
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: September-06 09

Posted December 19, 2009 - 07:41 AM

View PostSamuelDeuter, on 18 December 2009 - 03:05 PM, said:

Warp speed still doesn't mean that space is suddenly going to be a small little neighborhood, even at 5 times the speed of light it would take you almost a year to get to the closest star.


The Star Trek answer: Warp factors are calculated (pre-TNG) as speed = c * (f ^ 3), where c is the speed of light and f is the warp factor. That means that warp two is 8c, and warp 5 is 125c. Alpha Centuri is 4.37 lightyears away from Sol, meaning 4.37 years at warp 1, 0.54 years at warp 2, and roughly 12 days at warp 5.

The reasonable answer: Warp 1 won't make the universe our back porch, but it definitely will promote travel throughout our system, including terraforming and colonization of Mars, and perhaps field trips to the moon for really rich schools. Warp 1 to the moon would take about 0.1 seconds.

The really reasonable answer: Star Trek was just an example. Moore's Law is a better example. Moore's law describes a long-term trend in the history of computing hardware, in which the number of transistors that can be placed inexpensively on an integrated circuit has doubled approximately every two years. For example, 8GB of DDR3 SO-DIMM is about $500 right now, in a 2x4GB configuration. 4GB of the same RAM is $80. Also, it's safe to say that 2.0GHz dual cores are fairly run of the mill. Following Moore's law, in two years every midgrade laptop will ship with 8GB of RAM with 4GHz dualcores. Impressed? I am.
Swift, Ruby, Objective-C, JavaScript (the good parts)

iPhone Xs Max
MacBook Pro (2019, 15", 6-core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
Unix Workstation (Arch linux, 6TB mirrored ZFS, Ryzen 3900X, 32GB ECC RAM, RTX 2070)

#12 User is offline   Mega Icon

  • I have open-source underwear.
  • Icon
  • Group: Off-Topic Moderators
  • Posts: 68
  • Joined: July-31 09

Posted December 19, 2009 - 09:53 AM

Actually the GHz doubling has almost stopped as measuring speed in GHz is pretty much irrelevant now. The chip design is more of a deciding factor in speed now. The CPU's role in computing is slowly dwindling as GPUs have begun to offload work that a CPU would traditionally do. I would say that Moore's Law no longer applies to CPU GHz, but rather the core count.

#13 User is offline   sweden Icon

  • Assassin
  • Pip
  • Group: Validating
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: November-29 09

Posted December 22, 2009 - 05:09 AM

well putting aside the all of the ending the world scenarios, i think humans as a civilization is going to advance in the coming years. But i think the trend of advacement might be slower than it is being predicted. Like in the 80's people thought the world was going to be dominated by "flying" cars in the year 2000. While we have made many advacements in cars such as fuel efficiency, i think the idea of a "flying" car for commerical use is probably going to take many more years.

#14 User is offline   SamuelDeuter Icon

  • Full Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Posts: 473
  • Joined: August-02 09

Posted December 22, 2009 - 07:43 AM

View PostMega, on 19 December 2009 - 01:53 AM, said:

Actually the GHz doubling has almost stopped as measuring speed in GHz is pretty much irrelevant now. The chip design is more of a deciding factor in speed now. The CPU's role in computing is slowly dwindling as GPUs have begun to offload work that a CPU would traditionally do. I would say that Moore's Law no longer applies to CPU GHz, but rather the core count.


Yes, going 3GHz with out a special cooling system is pretty much making a bomb instead of a processor.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   joe x86 Icon

  • Emergency Programmer Hologram
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: September-06 09

Posted January 03, 2010 - 01:25 PM

I have a Pentium 4 at 2.8GHz with nothing but a heatsink. It's in my home made TiVo. :)
Swift, Ruby, Objective-C, JavaScript (the good parts)

iPhone Xs Max
MacBook Pro (2019, 15", 6-core i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)
Unix Workstation (Arch linux, 6TB mirrored ZFS, Ryzen 3900X, 32GB ECC RAM, RTX 2070)

#16 User is offline   SamuelDeuter Icon

  • Full Member
  • Icon
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Posts: 473
  • Joined: August-02 09

Posted January 21, 2010 - 06:17 AM

View Postjoe x86, on 03 January 2010 - 05:25 AM, said:

I have a Pentium 4 at 2.8GHz with nothing but a heatsink. It's in my home made TiVo. :)


I should really say 3.5GHz, then going on 4
Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users