• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Gitmo Prisoners = H1N1 Vaccines?

#1 User is offline   ireland Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Validating

Posted November 02, 2009 - 04:24 AM

I was surfin the net when I saw a article about whether the US Military should give H1N1 vaccines to gitmo prisoners. Should we allow the vaccines to the prisoners as basic health care?? OR Should we let nature take its toll and kill some off?? idk what you guys think?

This post has been edited by Ryu: November 02, 2009 - 04:26 AM

#2 User is offline   SamuelDeuter Icon

• Icon
  • Group: Global Moderators

Posted November 02, 2009 - 04:27 AM

Stopping a pathogenic virus should be top priority, regardless of who gets the Vaccine.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon
  • Group: Scripting Moderators

Posted November 02, 2009 - 05:03 AM

Do people not realize that H1N1 is just another flu variant? I've never gotten the flu shot and the odd time I get the flu, I get a fever, cough, aches, etc. and I get better on my own. This past week, I got a fever, aches, cough, I don't know if it was H1N1 because I didn't feel like getting tested for something that my immune system can fight off :P

#4 User is offline   ireland Icon

• PipPip

Posted November 02, 2009 - 05:37 AM

View PostThe-Black-Ninja, on 02 November 2009 - 12:03 AM, said:

Do people not realize that H1N1 is just another flu variant? I've never gotten the flu shot and the odd time I get the flu, I get a fever, cough, aches, etc. and I get better on my own. This past week, I got a fever, aches, cough, I don't know if it was H1N1 because I didn't feel like getting tested for something that my immune system can fight off :P

well most cases people with a normal functioning immune system would pretty much ride off the virus if they became infected. It just a scare for immunodeficient people, like those with AIDS, expecting mothers, infants and old peeps.

Good info here about H1N1: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm

#5 User is offline   JesusCake Icon

• In raptor jesus we trust
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted November 02, 2009 - 05:44 AM

i thought barack shut that prison down..
Posted Image
Thanks mega

#6 User is offline   warrior Icon

• Badass
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted November 02, 2009 - 06:04 AM

You can't just snap your fingers and shut down something like that, he began the process of shutting it down. Also: Absolutely we should vaccinate anyone and everyone who meets the criteria, using disease as a weapon is pretty much torture.

#7 User is offline   ireland Icon

• PipPip

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:33 AM

View PostJesusCake, on 02 November 2009 - 12:44 AM, said:

i thought barack shut that prison down..

its gonna take time, where u suppose all those prisoners going to go? George Bush's many ranches??

This post has been edited by Ryu: November 02, 2009 - 07:35 AM

#8 User is offline   JesusCake Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted November 02, 2009 - 10:12 AM

View PostRyu, on 02 November 2009 - 07:33 AM, said:

its gonna take time, where u suppose all those prisoners going to go? George Bush's many ranches??

Well I do not remember if they were shutting it down or if they are just going to change the way they do things. I remember him saying you should never torture another human being.

Lead by example, not examples by failed leadership.
Posted Image
Thanks mega

#9 User is offline   ireland Icon

• PipPip

Posted November 02, 2009 - 05:40 PM

View PostJesusCake, on 02 November 2009 - 05:12 AM, said:

Well I do not remember if they were shutting it down or if they are just going to change the way they do things. I remember him saying you should never torture another human being.

Lead by example, not examples by failed leadership.

but the thing is that the federal government does not really have power over there in the camp. It is mostly run by the U.S. Military. This type of power struggle makes it hard for even the president to close the place down.

#10 User is offline   SamuelDeuter Icon

• Icon

Posted November 03, 2009 - 11:41 AM

View PostThe-Black-Ninja, on 01 November 2009 - 09:03 PM, said:

Yea, I agree, I don't really need a flu shot either, I can fight it off perfectly fine, the problem is it kills off old people. (Although H1N1 hasn't been as dangerous for the elderly as other flu strains have)
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   warrior Icon

• Badass
  • PipPipPip

Posted November 04, 2009 - 01:55 PM

Torture has been banned, but the prisoners are still detained until they can be processed. The documentation of the various prisoners was extremely lacking, some had no papers at all, and some were detained with no charges. For years.

This dark chapter in American foreign policy is over, and its a relief.

#12 User is offline   SamuelDeuter Icon

• Icon

Posted November 04, 2009 - 08:47 PM

View PostRyu, on 01 November 2009 - 11:33 PM, said:

J/w, is this suppose to be funny?

Also this thread should be in Stealth's Political Pedestal imo.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   --------- Icon

• PipPip

Posted November 04, 2009 - 10:21 PM

View PostThe-Black-Ninja, on 01 November 2009 - 11:03 PM, said:

That's pretty irresponsible. Even if you are relatively healthy, there are medications they can prescribe to shorten how long you are sick. I guess you don't care, but doing so decreases exposure time of those around you who might not be so healthy.

I got sick two weeks ago and went to the doctor where I tested positively for the flu. They gave me Tamiflu, and on their orders, I did not go to classes for a week. They also gave my two brothers a 10 day supply of Tamiflu, not because they were sick but because they had been in contact with me. The problem with this flu isn't its severity, rather that a large segment of the population has no immunity to it whatsoever.

#14 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon

Posted November 05, 2009 - 04:07 AM

View Postidiat, on 04 November 2009 - 05:21 PM, said:

That's pretty irresponsible. Even if you are relatively healthy, there are medications they can prescribe to shorten how long you are sick. I guess you don't care, but doing so decreases exposure time of those around you who might not be so healthy.
Not even, I was sick for 2 days. Aches started Tuesday night, fever started Wednesday morning, broke Wednesday night, slept through Thursday morning and went to my afternoon class Thursday, then life was normal again.

The only time I ever get medication is for something like strep throat or when I got mono or something like that. If it's just the flu or a head cold, I don't bother because it doesn't really have an impact on my life; head colds last me like, 3 days, and I rarely, rarely get the flu or something that requires my body to raise its temperature.

#15 User is offline   --------- Icon

• PipPip

Posted November 05, 2009 - 05:35 AM

View PostThe-Black-Ninja, on 04 November 2009 - 10:07 PM, said:

Not even, I was sick for 2 days. Aches started Tuesday night, fever started Wednesday morning, broke Wednesday night, slept through Thursday morning and went to my afternoon class Thursday, then life was normal again.

The only time I ever get medication is for something like strep throat or when I got mono or something like that. If it's just the flu or a head cold, I don't bother because it doesn't really have an impact on my life; head colds last me like, 3 days, and I rarely, rarely get the flu or something that requires my body to raise its temperature.

And when you went to afternoon class, you put everyone there at risk of catching what you had. You remain an infective agent long after symptoms go away. The average infectivity period for flu is about 10 days. (Official advice as I remember it is slightly more practical. You're supposed to wait through a full day of normalcy before returning to class/work.) You may feel fine, but the virus is still in your system, and it's still spreading. Medication can help your body down that last stretch and decrease overall time that you put other people at risk.

It's about doing the right thing, like taking the full amount of antibiotics even after you feel fine. The consequences for you might not be so great, but like I said it's irresponsible.

#16 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon

Posted November 05, 2009 - 05:41 AM

View Postidiat, on 05 November 2009 - 12:35 AM, said:

And when you went to afternoon class, you put everyone there at risk of catching what you had. You remain an infective agent long after symptoms go away. The average infectivity period for flu is about 10 days. (Official advice as I remember it is slightly more practical. You're supposed to wait through a full day of normalcy before returning to class/work.) You may feel fine, but the virus is still in your system, and it's still spreading. Medication can help your body down that last stretch and decrease overall time that you put other people at risk.

It's about doing the right thing, like taking the full amount of antibiotics even after you feel fine. The consequences for you might not be so great, but like I said it's irresponsible.
You seem to think I went to my afternoon class all sneezing and coughing and feeling like shit lol Maybe if I kissed someone or spit on them, they'd catch whatever I had.

#17 User is offline   JesusCake Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted November 05, 2009 - 08:58 AM

the flu is also airborne...
Posted Image
Thanks mega

#18 User is offline   ireland Icon

• PipPip

Posted November 05, 2009 - 04:06 PM

View PostJesusCake, on 05 November 2009 - 03:58 AM, said:

the flu is also airborne...

h1n1 can be transmitted through the air but only at very short distances. We talking about maybe 2 to 3 feet at max. The virus itself is transmitted through droplets from when a person sneezes or coughs. Unlike TB, h1n1 is very short lived in the air, once the virus is in the air it very quickly settles onto the surface. Once the virus is on a surface, it has imited time to live so it must find a host, this is when it is most transmittable. SO WASH YOUR HANDS PEOPLE!! 30 seconds = golden. Washing your hands is the #1 way to prevent urself from contracting the disease or you could live in a bubble this flu season. Far as getting the vaccine, i would recommend it. The FDA has done months of testing and have very positive results with a few negative ones. But what drug does not have side effects. Studies have shown that a person can live through the h1n1 flu if contracted but in a few cases it has shown that the virus can cause scarring of the lung tissue. This scarring of the lung tissue can cause long term respiratory problems. Althought it has mostly been seen in older patients but it as been seen in younger patients in the 20-34 age range. So in all, i think the vaccine is not a need if you practice good hygiene but it is also not a bad idea to consider taking it. Currently there are two types offered, one is through a nasal spiray and one is through a syringe. Nasal spray is used for small children.

Posted Image

H1N1 Virus

Proper Handwashing:

1.Wet your hands using warm, running water. Add soap.
2.During the handwashing process, rub your hands vigorously for a minimum of 20 seconds, paying special attention to the backs of your hands, wrists, in between your fingers and underneath your fingernails.
3.Rinse well while leaving the water running.
4.With the water continuing to run, use a single-use towel and pat your hands dry.
5.Turn off the water faucet using the paper towel covering your clean hands to prevent recontamination.

Tips:
1.Hand sanitizers should not be used in place of handwashing.
2.Use hand sanitizers that contain 60-90% ethyl alcohol or isopropanol as an addition to proper handwashing only.
3.Use your paper towel that you dry your hands with to open the restroom door when you leave the bathroom as to not recontaminate your hands.
4.To find what activities should prompt handwashing read more here.
5.When you are washing your hands, count slowly from 1 to 20 in order to gain the maximum benefit from handwashing.

Anymore questions about H1N1, just post!! Do my best to answer them.

This post has been edited by Ryu: November 05, 2009 - 04:19 PM

#19 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon

Posted November 05, 2009 - 04:25 PM

I don't think we had a question about it...

All those public announcements are just common knowledge about proper hygeine if you're sick. It's nothing special.

#20 User is offline   ireland Icon

• PipPip

Posted November 05, 2009 - 04:30 PM

View PostThe-Black-Ninja, on 05 November 2009 - 11:25 AM, said:

I don't think we had a question about it...

All those public announcements are just common knowledge about proper hygeine if you're sick. It's nothing special.

lol, just incase, there is nothing wrong with information. Already people two i know died from this.

This post has been edited by Ryu: November 05, 2009 - 04:31 PM

#21 User is offline   The-Black-Ninja Icon

• The Sex
  • Icon

Posted November 05, 2009 - 04:35 PM

Yeah that's true I guess, all information is good information.

#22 User is offline   ireland Icon

• PipPip

Posted November 05, 2009 - 06:52 PM

doesn't matter how much info, long as it can save 1 life its done its job. :)

#23 User is offline   SamuelDeuter Icon

• Icon

Posted November 05, 2009 - 08:44 PM

View PostRyu, on 05 November 2009 - 08:06 AM, said:

h1n1 can be transmitted through the air but only at very short distances. We talking about maybe 2 to 3 feet at max. The virus itself is transmitted through droplets from when a person sneezes or coughs. Unlike TB, h1n1 is very short lived in the air, once the virus is in the air it very quickly settles onto the surface. Once the virus is on a surface, it has imited time to live so it must find a host, this is when it is most transmittable. SO WASH YOUR HANDS PEOPLE!! 30 seconds = golden. Washing your hands is the #1 way to prevent urself from contracting the disease or you could live in a bubble this flu season. Far as getting the vaccine, i would recommend it. The FDA has done months of testing and have very positive results with a few negative ones. But what drug does not have side effects. Studies have shown that a person can live through the h1n1 flu if contracted but in a few cases it has shown that the virus can cause scarring of the lung tissue. This scarring of the lung tissue can cause long term respiratory problems. Althought it has mostly been seen in older patients but it as been seen in younger patients in the 20-34 age range. So in all, i think the vaccine is not a need if you practice good hygiene but it is also not a bad idea to consider taking it. Currently there are two types offered, one is through a nasal spiray and one is through a syringe. Nasal spray is used for small children.

Posted Image

H1N1 Virus

Proper Handwashing:

1.Wet your hands using warm, running water. Add soap.
2.During the handwashing process, rub your hands vigorously for a minimum of 20 seconds, paying special attention to the backs of your hands, wrists, in between your fingers and underneath your fingernails.
3.Rinse well while leaving the water running.
4.With the water continuing to run, use a single-use towel and pat your hands dry.
5.Turn off the water faucet using the paper towel covering your clean hands to prevent recontamination.

Tips:
1.Hand sanitizers should not be used in place of handwashing.
2.Use hand sanitizers that contain 60-90% ethyl alcohol or isopropanol as an addition to proper handwashing only.
3.Use your paper towel that you dry your hands with to open the restroom door when you leave the bathroom as to not recontaminate your hands.
4.To find what activities should prompt handwashing read more here.
5.When you are washing your hands, count slowly from 1 to 20 in order to gain the maximum benefit from handwashing.

Anymore questions about H1N1, just post!! Do my best to answer them.

You should never use hand sanitizer instead of washing hands, you should do both, they do completely different things.
Posted Image

#24 User is offline   Xeda Icon

• Oh yeah.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted November 09, 2009 - 12:53 AM

You really had two people that you know die from this?
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   ireland Icon

• PipPip

Posted November 10, 2009 - 04:08 AM

View PostAdex, on 08 November 2009 - 07:53 PM, said:

You really had two people that you know die from this?

ya two of my friends died from h1n1.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users