StealthBot.net: Mircosoft's Windows 7 - StealthBot.net

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mircosoft's Windows 7 Your Comments / Site Reviews

Poll: Windows 7

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Are you getting Windows 7 with your current computer?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Are you going to buy a new computer with Windows 7 on it?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Are you a Vista user who gets a free update?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Masterchief Icon

• Should be Sr.Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted October 22, 2009 - 02:33 AM

Comments?

IMO I think it will be great! It will fix up the problems with Vista user's had and it looks fine.

Release Date: October 22, 2009

News Site Comments:

Foxnews.com said:

If you've been holding off on buying a new computer, Microsoft Windows 7 will be a good excuse to get back into the game. And if you've been weighing a Mac versus a Windows PC, then you should know that "7" pushes the scales on the Windows side. Windows is now easier to use and better looking than it was before, while maintaining its core advantage of cheaper, more diverse hardware.

However, most PC users should not take the release of Windows 7 as a call to action, or feel that they have to run out and buy the software for use on a computer they're planning on keeping. The upgrade will most likely not be worth the time or money, much less the effort of hosting a Windows 7 "launch party" as Microsoft suggests.

Site: http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

Msnbc.com said:

Microsoft released a near-final version of the Windows 7 operating system to a large group of technology-savvy testers Thursday that adds a few new features, including a way to run Windows XP applications. (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

The Windows 7 "release candidate" will be available for anyone to download and try out on May 5. The release candidate is typically the version used by Microsoft's corporate customers to test how the new system will work for them. Software developers, hardware makers and other partners also base their next-generation products on this version because they trust that it's stable and close to finished.

Microsoft published the Vista release candidate about five months before the final version went on sale to consumers. If Windows 7 were to follow the same trajectory, it could be available by the start of October. Officially, Microsoft expects to start selling Windows 7 by the end of January 2010, but has said this week that it is possible it could launch in time for the holiday shopping season.

Site: http://www.msnbc.msn...#storyContinued

cnn.com said:

It's true of the product, which is as notable for its everyday performance as any one new feature. It's also true of how Microsoft plans to launch the new operating system on Thursday.

Rather than go for flash, the company is focused on making sure that all of its partners are ready to sell lots of PCs and copies of Windows 7.

"We're living in a different world today," Microsoft Vice President Tami Reller said in an interview with CNET News.

Microsoft is hoping to strike a contrast with the launch of Vista, which was marked by ambitious marketing (Remember "The Wow starts now"?) but a product that wasn't fully baked, nor were other software and hardware makers ready for the big changes that came with Vista.

Site: http://www.cnn.com/2...iref=newssearch

cnet.com said:

Although the look of Windows 7 may seem to be nothing more than some polish applied liberally to the Vista Aero theme, make no mistake: this is a full replacement operating system, and more than just "Vista done right." From driver support to multitouch groundwork for the future, from better battery management to the most user-friendly interface Microsoft has ever had, Windows 7 is hardly half-baked.

Site: http://reviews.cnet....ain;contentBody

Note: These are not the full reviews.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Clan HALO [Visit us on Warcraft III[Azeroth]. Ladder/AT/Tourny/Trivia/Vent/Stealthbot/and more!]

#2 User is online   Pyro Icon

• Militant Asshole
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators

Posted October 22, 2009 - 03:02 AM

I already have Windows 7. It's pretty awesome.
Pyro, AKA Davnit
  • StealthBot Developer
  • Chieftain of Clan BoT
  • Host of pyro.no-ip.biz

https://davnit.net/

#3 User is offline   FrostWraith Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Beta Testers

Posted October 22, 2009 - 03:10 AM

I really like it. I used the RC for a few months and then about 3-4 weeks ago I downloaded the official release through MSDNAA. Highly recommended.
I Don't Go Nowhere Without My Bangmaid!

#4 User is offline   nate Icon

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted October 22, 2009 - 03:46 AM

I have the RTM through MSDNAA right now, but I'm getting the full retail at the Microsoft NERD release party tomorrow. I like it.

#5 User is offline   warrior Icon

• Badass
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Senior Members

Posted October 22, 2009 - 03:51 AM

Sold more in Pre-Orders in the first eight hours on Amazon than Vista and XP combined in their entire Pre-Order period.
Just putting it in perspective, its going to be a blockbuster release.

#6 User is offline   joe x86 Icon

• Emergency Programmer Hologram
  • PipPipPip

Posted October 22, 2009 - 04:42 AM

Warrior will correct me, I'm sure, but if I understand correctly they didn't even touch the Vista kernel. Windows 7 is the worlds most expensive service pack, ever.

I also received a free copy though MSDNAA. In one of my classes we use Windows software, so I've been running it in VirtualBox-OSE on top of Ubuntu 9.10. It "feels" the same to me as Vista. A few days ago, my video drivers randomly stopped working. I still have the VirtualBox auto-adjusting resolution, but I'm stuck in a stunning 256 colors (which isn't that bad for programming, but it turns Aero black). I'm not sure what caused that problem, but the inability to automagically fix itself leaves much to be desired for end users. I, myself, am returning to XP for what little Windows work I do.

TLDR: It's acceptable for use on a new computer. The new taskbar appeals to Mac users, I'm sure. But for a poweruser, it's nothing to write home about.
Are we still listing our languages and computer specs in our signature in November 2018?

Swift, Ruby on Rails, Objective-C, JavaScript (the good parts)

iPhone Xs Max. Mid 2015 MacBook Pro (16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, work laptop). Mid 2011 Mac mini (16GB RAM, 500GB HDD, home desktop). Lenovo TS140 (Ubuntu on 3TB mirrored ZFS root, 20GB ECC RAM, NAS).

#7 User is offline   Zin Icon

• Boo Boo Titty-Fuck
  • PipPipPip

Posted October 22, 2009 - 07:22 AM

I liked it up until the part where one of my cpu cores would stop being recognized by windows.

#8 User is offline   CCC Icon

• Hey
  • PipPipPip

Posted October 22, 2009 - 09:42 AM

lol windows 7 suxxxxxxxxx comp crashed and i hav e to run it in safemod now rofl

#9 User is offline   warrior Icon

• Badass
  • PipPipPip

Posted October 22, 2009 - 10:49 AM

View Postjoe x86, on 22 October 2009 - 04:42 AM, said:

Warrior will correct me, I'm sure, but if I understand correctly they didn't even touch the Vista kernel. Windows 7 is the worlds most expensive service pack, ever.

Yes you're absolutely wrong. They introduced fine grained kernel locks (replacing a series of Big Kernel Locks.. which amounts to code review of millions of lines). This has the effect of increasing the amount of processor Windows7 scales to, to 256 logical processors.

They also added security by further locking down the registry (Kernel Keys) using ACLs. There's also support for a ton of new standards (Firewire, NDIS, WWAN, VWiFi, ..)

On top of that there's User Mode Scheduling and Heap Fault protection (Which amounts for a considerable % of Windows Crashes)
The biggie though was the increased paralellism in the kernel by breaking the big synchonrization locks. No small feat.

I also received a free copy though MSDNAA. In one of my classes we use Windows software, so I've been running it in VirtualBox-OSE on top of Ubuntu 9.10. It "feels" the same to me as Vista.

Windows7 is faster than Vista and XP in almost every meaningful benchmark. GDI in Windows7 got some of its functions hardware accelerated, and DirectX11 allows the offloading of hardware video encoding/decoding to the GPU (DX includes DirectCompute which is GPGPU technology).

So you running an OS ontop of another OS inside a virtualized environment does not meaningful benchmark make.

A few days ago, my video drivers randomly stopped working. I still have the VirtualBox auto-adjusting resolution, but I'm stuck in a stunning 256 colors (which isn't that bad for programming, but it turns Aero black). I'm not sure what caused that problem, but the inability to automagically fix itself leaves much to be desired for end users. I, myself, am returning to XP for what little Windows work I do.

If you're not using Aero Glass, you're using the XP Driver Model and you're in a definite minority. The WDDM1.0/1.1 architecture has had auto restarting of bad drivers since Vista (That portion of the driver stack was moved to User Mode).

TLDR: It's acceptable for use on a new computer. The new taskbar appeals to Mac users, I'm sure. But for a poweruser, it's nothing to write home about.

The Taskbar is the single most productive bit in the OS. It is a power user's dream, and it's been criticized for not being simplistic enough. It's also leaps and bounds ahead of the confusing OSX Dock which has a clash of paradigm.

I also don't see why OS changes are to be limited to the Kernel only..? The OS includes the massively innovative DirectX11 stack with Hardware Tesselation, GPGPU support, Shader Model 5.0, a new native hardware accelerated 2D Drawing API (to replace GDI+) called Direct2D, DXGI to replace device management, DirectWrite, which is the most advanced font rendering subsystem in the world..

Then as a fallback to DX11 is the brand new WARP Engine which is a Software Rasterizer allowing you to play Crysis fully on your Core i7 which runs it at 20FPS. No small feat. It's the most advanced software rasterization engine available.

On the DWM side of things, it got a revised Driver Model with linear scaling of DWM.exe (Cut down memory usage from 80MB (and exponentially counting) to 15MB for all windows) by storing video memory only once on the GPU instead of on the GPU and CPU..and doing costly handshakes.

With the updated DWM you can also use multiple video cards from multiple vendors seamlessly.

Hmm..let's see..Explorer has been rewritten finally giving it Virtual Folders.. Windows Search has been improved.. there's the Taskbar, JumpLists, Aero Shake, Aero Snap, Aero Peek.. hmm there's faster boot times, a bunch of shit that I'm probably forgetting.

Of course it's not the massive release that Vista was, but it adds considerable features (Probably more features in 2-3 point OSX cats) and runs with a smaller footprint.

#10 User is offline   Starfish41 Icon

• PipPip

Posted October 22, 2009 - 11:42 AM

I ll stay on XP till Service Pack 1 maybe 2 is released for Win 7
stable systems >> some new funky features
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Stealth Icon

• Head Cheese
  • Icon

Posted October 22, 2009 - 07:20 PM

I've been running 7 on my main computer since May and am extremely impressed with its driver support, stability, design and new features. It even runs great on my underpowered netbook.

I especially like the new taskbar; it's much more useful and a perfect blend of the PC application-centric windowing model and the Mac's dock.
Stealth

#12 User is offline   PhiX Icon

• Notice the ownage.
  • Icon

Posted October 22, 2009 - 08:06 PM

View PostMasterchief, on 22 October 2009 - 04:33 AM, said:

IMO I think it will be great! It will fix up the problems with Vista user's had and it looks fine.
What problems with Vista? I never had any problems with Vista. It also doesn't look that much different compared to Vista. I have to agree with Joe partially that Vista and 7 have many things in common. The main difference is that Windows 7 was hyped right from the beginning whereas Vista was always presented as "the big bad guy" - pretty much what Warrior said a while ago. Of course it will be better than Windows Vista, but that's what you expect from a new version. I also think that Vista was a great improvement compared to XP.

So while I don't agree with the mob following the media hypes, I also believe that it will be a great experience. I'll install it as soon as I get my hands on a copy.

View PostFoxInTheBox, on 22 October 2009 - 11:42 AM, said:

lol windows 7 suxxxxxxxxx comp crashed and i hav e to run it in safemod now rofl
It's always easy to blame a user error on the OS.
PhiX

BNLS: phix.no-ip.org

Please refrain from sending me personal messages regarding technical support issues. Use the forums, that is what they are there for.

#13 User is offline   joe x86 Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted October 22, 2009 - 08:06 PM

I will admit that it runs better than Vista on underpowered machines. Take, for instance, my old desktop:

Intel Pentium IV, 2.8GHz
512+512 MB RAM
120GB Hard Drive

I've run many many operating systems on this machine. If I had to rank them in order of speed and general usability, it'd be:

Ubuntu 8.10
Windows XP
Windows 7
Windows Vista
Mac OS X 10.3

Obviously every last one of you is going to say (and rightly so) that I'm baised towards Linux. I'm sure that if it were bogged down with all of Windows's non-poweruser end-user features, it'd be just as slow.

Windows XP outperforms 7 and Vista, only because it was written in the days of older machines. This machine shipped with XP, although I've upgraded the hardware since.

Then comes Windows 7. It's what I'm using right now (okay, I got more than one free copy), although I can't pinpoint why. It's fine, I generally use my laptop and my girlfriend uses this computer, and she thinks it's shiny. Works for me.

Windows Vista worked decently well, but it felt very sluggish. Not even the bootup process, that was acceptable. Everything just took a bit too long for my liking.

OS X 10.3 was a complete fail. But yes, I did run it on this machine a few years ago. :)
Are we still listing our languages and computer specs in our signature in November 2018?

iPhone Xs Max. Mid 2015 MacBook Pro (16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, work laptop). Mid 2011 Mac mini (16GB RAM, 500GB HDD, home desktop). Lenovo TS140 (Ubuntu on 3TB mirrored ZFS root, 20GB ECC RAM, NAS).

#14 User is offline   Damned Icon

• <Insert Title Here>
  • PipPip

Posted October 22, 2009 - 08:20 PM

hai guize maybe they made vista so shitty so ppl would be blown away by windowz 7~!!!!
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Masterchief Icon

• Should be Sr.Member
  • PipPip

Posted October 22, 2009 - 09:02 PM

View PostStealth, on 22 October 2009 - 02:20 PM, said:

I've been running 7 on my main computer since May and am extremely impressed with its driver support, stability, design and new features. It even runs great on my underpowered netbook.

I especially like the new taskbar; it's much more useful and a perfect blend of the PC application-centric windowing model and the Mac's dock.

I agree, the taskbar for Windows 7 is very nice.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Clan HALO [Visit us on Warcraft III[Azeroth]. Ladder/AT/Tourny/Trivia/Vent/Stealthbot/and more!]

#16 User is offline   C0RR0SIVE Icon

• OLD Senior Member.
  • PipPipPip

Posted October 22, 2009 - 10:06 PM

Here is one thing people are forgetting, the thing with vista/win7 is what happened with the whole ME/2000/XP incident. What killed vista is the initial lack of support, and still today, some lack of support. Now that Microsoft is aware of that, they have better driver and device support in Win7 than with Vista, but I am sure a lot of people will still trash talk it... I haven't had a chance to really run the os, but, I have no need to as Vista, in my honest opinion, is perfectly fine, it was just a REALLY huge change, and a bit of a hog on resources.

Although I can get it free from my old votech teacher, I am passing win7 up and just gonna torrent a AOI of win7 when it gets out to the public entirely.... Makes life easier when working with customers and having to reinstall there os...

#17 User is offline   warrior Icon

• Badass
  • PipPipPip

Posted October 22, 2009 - 10:15 PM

Vista will always be the unappreciated, misunderstood OS.

#18 User is offline   C0RR0SIVE Icon

• OLD Senior Member.
  • PipPipPip

Posted October 22, 2009 - 11:33 PM

Wow... I just read the top ten reasons on this site...
http://www.microsoft...de-from-xp.aspx

I find it rather funny considering you can do everything on there in 2000 and up rather easily.... Sounds kinda like they "dumbed" those parts down just to make it easier for new owners of win7 to do that, and make me have to re-learn it... I guess I am gonna have to run win7 and check it out entirely....

#19 User is offline   warrior Icon

• Badass
  • PipPipPip

Posted October 23, 2009 - 01:13 AM

Reason 6 is BS, but the rest are solid.

#20 User is offline   itsryan Icon

• Senior Beta Tester
  • PipPip

Posted October 23, 2009 - 01:16 AM

I have been using the beta since Microsoft released it, i like it so far. I find it better then vista
Ni-Troxygen
[ X ] [ X ]

#21 User is offline   JesusCake Icon

• In raptor jesus we trust
  • PipPipPip

Posted October 23, 2009 - 02:12 AM

View Postwarrior, on 22 October 2009 - 10:15 PM, said:

Vista will always be the unappreciated, misunderstood OS.

I love vista. I have vista ultimate. The only people to me that complain about vista being slow is people who have a 20 year old machine that cant even run xp correctly, and they load the biggest vista on there and have all bells and whistles going.

Sorry, there needs to be a leap where the human mind, actually has some sensibility.
Posted Image
Thanks mega

#22 User is offline   Jack Icon

• Might actually be named Chris
  • Icon
  • Group: Custodian

Posted October 23, 2009 - 03:08 AM

I love how Microsoft includes Window Media Player in all of their new releases like it's something super-new and amazing.
Posted Imageass

#23 User is offline   joe x86 Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted October 23, 2009 - 05:55 AM

View Postwarrior, on 22 October 2009 - 08:13 PM, said:

Reason 6 is BS, but the rest are solid.

Explanation of solid reasoning, from Windows 7 himself.

1. Get quicker access to all of your stuff—use Pin and Jump Lists to keep the programs and files you use the most right at your fingertips.

Windows XP had great features such as the desktop and the quick-launch bar, but we've taken it even further by allowing you to pin things to the taskbar! This is a lot like the quick-launch bar, but it merges your non-running applications in with your running applications and makes your taskbar look more crowded.

2. Manage open windows easier—resize and arrange windows simply by dragging their borders to the edge of your screen.

Hi. I'm Windows 95. If you pick me instead of Windows 7, you can use two fingers on your left hand to execute the "alt+tab" maneuver to easily switch between windows! Save time by not having to reach for your mouse! Also, I only take 15 megabytes of disk space!

3. Quickly find what you’re looking for—use Windows Search to find a specific file, program, or e-mail in a few seconds.

Hello, sorry about that. 95 stole the mic but we took him out back and dropped support. He won't be back. Anyhow, if you switch to Windows 7, you don't have to organize ANYTHING. Coming soon, Desk7!

4. Share files and printers among multiple PCs—from one Windows 7-based PC to another, you can share files, music, photos, and even printers across your home network.

With Windows 7, you can use the same basic technology that's been a part of the operating system since long before the Y2K crisis!

5. Stay entertained effortlessly—with Windows Media Center you get one place to enjoy your photos and music, watch and record live TV, and watch free Internet TV.

In Soviet Operating System, YouTube watch you!

6. Easily create and share movies—create great looking movies and slideshows and share them on YouTube in minutes.

What's that? You mean XP already has Windows Movie Maker?! OUTRAGE!

7. Connect to networks easily—view and connect to any available wireless network in as few as three clicks.

This is NOT the same feature as in Windows XP. With that inferior operating system, you connect in TWO clicks. THREE IS GREATER THAN TWO!

8. Do more and wait less—improvements that can accelerate sleep and resume and make your PC more responsive help you get more done.

Your boss will love Windows 7, because you won't even have time to get coffee while waiting for your computer to boot in the morning! And now a word from Microsoft Motors.

9. Don't leave programs behind—run many Windows XP productivity programs in Windows XP Mode.

Hello. I'm here from Microsoft Motor Company to convince you to buy a new vehicle. The car you drive right now is out of date, even though we'll still support it. If you buy our latest vehicle, you can give us lots of money and drive on the same roads!

#24 User is offline   Matt Icon

• PipPip

Posted October 23, 2009 - 08:24 AM

Theres always one in the crowd.
Host of bnls.netPosted Image and bnls.mattkv.netPosted Image. Currently at 99.9% uptime. Click the link to see statistics of the server.

#25 User is offline   C0RR0SIVE Icon

• OLD Senior Member.
  • PipPipPip

Posted October 23, 2009 - 05:20 PM

I found that last post from joe rather hilarious.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users